Liverpool Champions of the World

Liverpool the European champions won the FIFA Club World Cup, by defeating Flamengo, the South American champions 1-0 after an extension to extra time, on Saturday evening in the final match held on the pitch of the Khalifa International Stadium in Doha.

Roberto Firmino scored the only goal of the game in the 99th minute, and this is the first time Liverpool have won the title, after losing the 2005 edition final to Sao Paulo 0-1.

Flamingo caused tremendous problems for the Reds throughout the game, and came close to scoring on more than one occasion, but Liverpool eventually managed to score after the extension and win the title.

Dutch defender Virgil van Dijk has returned to the Liverpool squad, after his absence from the team's last match against Monterrey due to injury.

The Reds played with its full striking force, consisting of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino.

On the other hand, Flamingo coach Jorge Jesus did not make any changes to his starting lineup that beat Al Hilal in the semi-final 3-1.

How It Happened

Liverpool had an opportunity to open the scoring in the first minute, when Jordan Henderson's pass reached Firmino behind the defense, the Brazilian striker tried to drop the ball over goalkeeper Diego Alves, but his attempt passed over the goal.

In the fifth minute, Henderson passed another ball, this time to Salah, who in turn returned it to Naby Keita, but the latter shot awkwardly over the goal, and a minute later, Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander Arnold set off the ball and took a hit that passed beside the left post.

Flamengo's Rafinia, sent a ball from the right to reach Henrique, who in turn shot it head away before Joe Gomez sblocked it away before reaching Barbosa, whos attempt rebounded from Van Dijk in the 18th minute.

Henrique's pass in the box did not find Barbosa's foot in the 24th minute, and it looked as if Henriquei had passed from Gomez, but the latter put his foot in front of the Flamingo player's attempt to go out to a corner that yielded nothing in the 26th minute.

The referee refused to give Flamengo a penalty kick due to a hand touch on Gomez inside the box in the 33rd minute, and the last ten minutes of the first half passed, without any serious danger to both teams' goals.

The start of the second half was quick, and Henderson passed a new ball towards the penalty area to Firmino, who lifted it from a defender before hitting it to hit the ground and bounce from the post in the 47th minute.

Alexander Arnold directed a ball from the right side to Salah, who shot it next to the close post in the 49th minute, and moments later Arnold left the ball to be picked up by Barbossa who took a powerful shot that was blocked by Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker in the 53rd minute.

Liverpool tried to pressure the Brazilian team, and a ball from the defense bounced back to left-back Andy Robertson, who fired it strong, but it collided with his offside teammate Firmino in the 57th minute.

Liverpool tried to pressure the Brazilian team, and a ball from the defense bounced back to left-back Andy Robertson, who fired it strong, but it collided with his offside teammate Firmino in the 57th minute.

Flamengo's performance improved markedly with better possession, and Barbosa crossed from the left with a backward acrobatic movement, but goalkeeper Alison caught the ball in the 69th minute.

The injury forced Liverpool player Alex Oxlade Chamberlain out of the field, to be replaced by Adam Lallana.

Salah heel-passed a ball to Henderson, who fired a powerful rocket that Diego Alves narrowly tackled in the 86th minute.

The referee awarded a penalty to the Reds in the first minute of extra time, after Mane fell inside the area following a joint game with veteran Rafinia, but he quickly retracted it after resorting to video technology.

After 9 minutes of the first extra half, Mane received a long ball from behind, to pass it on a golden plate to Firmino, who got rid of his marker and put it in the net announcing Liverpool's goal.

Salah almost added the second goal in the 101st minute, but alves blocked it away.

Alves returned to save an elaborate free kick that Alexander Arnold fired in the middle of the second extra half.

The remaining minutes passed and the Reds held together to win the title.


227 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All